Saturday, August 09, 2008

Some Plum Good Stuff

My friend was given a case of plums that seemed to come from an extra good crop and, lucky for me, she shared them! So what does a single girl who happens to be 'tween relationships do on a Friday night? Well, she makes jelly and jam, of course. Need you ask? Sheesh. So I boiled jars and lids and washed, cut and simmered those wonderful little jewel toned beauties until the juice turned to jelly, then sealed them in jars to be safely stored away for those nippy fall and winter mornings when you're just craving a little summer freshness. There was about half a jar remaining in the pot so I put that in the refrigerator and had it for breakfast this morning. Well...not just that. There was also a big, flaky biscuit. some REAL butter, a slice (or maybe 2!) of thick, smoked bacon, and some fresh squeezed orange juice. Sheesh, you can't eat jam all by its self!

A sink full of big, beautiful juicy ruby red plums...

Chopped and in the pot.

Simmering. The aroma is heavenly!

Beginning to thicken...

Seriously thickening. Sure wish I could bottle this wonderful fragrance!

The bounty, sparkling like rubies, in the windowsill.

She gets up while it is still dark; she provides food for her family...Proverbs 31:15

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

El yummo!! I got some fabulous plums from the farmer's market a few weeks ago. I wanted a plum cobbler, but didn't trust myself with the final results. (My mother's plum cobblers are to die for.) At any rate, I enjoyed eating every lovely plump one!

Rhonda said...

That sounds wonderful. I've never made a plum cobbler, but I think I just may try it.

Barb said...

Oh, this makes me want to can this fall, Rhonda! I always say I'm going to and then I never get around to it. But those jars are gorgeous - I want some! So I'm thinking I'll hit the farmers markets and get serious this year.

Beautiful!

And by the way, I thanked you publicly on my blog today, for the sweet package you sent me. I can't wait to get caught up enough in my shoppe that I can make something wonderful with the fabric and lace you sent me. Again, thank you so much.