Saturday, August 23, 2008

Babes

School starts Monday and my feelings are a kind of bitter-sweet. Sweet, because the beginning of the school term ushers in fall, my absolute favorite season of them all, and sad because it marks the beginning of a new era in the life of Savannah, which, of course, effects me as well. I can hardly believe that my grandbaby is about to go to middle school. It seems like it was just yesterday when the long awaited ultrasound revealed that the desire of my heart was about to be filled...a baby girl was soon to arrive. I'm sure I would have been just as elated, well... maybe...had the stork brought a boy, but after having two boys of my own who are only 12 months and 5 days apart I was ready for some pink, some lace, and, of course, some big ol' hair bows in every color of the spectrum.

Savannah made her grand entrance on November 29, the day after Thanksgiving in 1996, and I don't believe she could have looked more like her dad and her Uncle Jarad if she had tried! I truly believe the minute Justin laid eyes on his little princess, every thought of having a son melted away. Savannah and Justin are big fishing buddies and her every conversation is frequently dotted with references to 'my Dad.' She is indeed a chip off the old block!

Savannah at birth.

Justin Matthew, 1 day old.

Shifting gears...just as unbelievable is the fact that my baby boy, Jarad, just turned thirty. Jarad was without doubt the sweetest little guy I've ever known in my entire life. Even as a little child he was extremely kind and tender-hearted and always concerned about the feelings of those around him. One would be hard pressed to find a child as loving and as sensitive as Jarad was.

Jarad in kindergarten...

From the memory bank....when Jarad was in kindergarten he came home one day and announced he wanted us to get some 'well-u-fare.' When I asked him to tell me about this 'well-u-fare' his explaination was quite simple: When you get 'well-u-fare' you get to eat breakfast at school and they have cereal everyday! That conversation came shortly after the announcement that he wanted to be 'lurgic.' Once again, I asked for elaboration, at which time I was told, "When you're 'lurgic' they give you juice with your lunch and you never have to drink milk at school again!"

Many, many sweet memories exist of those early childhood days. Sadly, it seems as though I merely blinked and they were gone.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Goodness, gracious, they look just alike in those pics! Loved the "well-u-fare" story. :-) I'll say a prayer for you as Savannah starts middle school. Peer pressure is enormous during those years. She's blessed to have such a caring, prayerful grandmother.