Friday, August 08, 2008

08/08/08

Almond orchard near the cave of John the Baptist, Israel, March 2006

Though I have never been a believer of numerology, I am a bit intrigued by today's date--08/08/08. In the spiritual world, the number eight signifies the time of new beginnings. Of further interest to me is the fact that we are currently living in the Jewish year 5768, the year which scholars have declared to be the "Year of Samekh Chet---The Year of the Full Circle of Life---A New Beginning is Yours." Upon realizing this, my mind was quickened to the passage in the book of Isaiah (43:19) wherein Isaiah declares God's mercy by repeating what God has proclaimed,
"See, I am doing a new thing! Now it springs up; do you not perceive it? I am making a way in the desert and streams in the wasteland." NIV

In our society we typically mark January 1 as the time for 'new beginnings'---the starting point for making positive changes in our lives, changes often related to physical, spiritual or financial matters. But why should we wait until January to start anew? What better time is there than today, 08/08/08, to start losing those few extra pounds or start setting aside a few more dollars? My, if I change my exercise routine and prayer life and a few other habits starting right now, I could be light years ahead when the new year rolls in! And maybe, just maybe, there really is something special for me just around the bend. Maybe today really will mark a new beginning. My new beginning. But it must start with me...

"But it is written: "Eye has not seen, nor ear heard, Nor have entered into the heart of man the things which God has prepared for those who love Him."
I Corinthians 2:9 NKJ

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great post and a big amen!