Thursday, August 21, 2008

A Rainy-Peachy Kind of Day

The rain is steadily falling, day 4, I believe it is. The garden is soggy and it's just too yucky to do anything other than indoor projects today. My friend stopped by early this morning, on her way to work, and shared with me a box of organic peaches she was lucky enough to receive from another friend. I wasn't in the mood for canning, so I decided to prepare them for the freezer. I once read somewhere that your freezer is like a safe deposit box and you should regularly make deposits as well as withdrawals. That's an interesting philosophy that seems to be true indeed. I'm sure on some nippy fall or winter day, in the near future, I'll make a 'withdrawal' from the bank and prepare a wonderful cobbler or homemade pie!

A sink full of really big peaches!

I didn't have any 'Fruit-Fresh' on hand so I crushed some vitamin C tablets and sprinkled the powder on the peaches so they would not turn dark. Works just like the expensive stuff!


Sliced, 'sprinkled' and almost ready for the freezer. My grandmother gave me this 'Texasware' bowl for my hope chest back in the early 70's and I think it came from Perry's five and dime store. I see these bowls on e-bay all the time now, usually labeled 'vintage.' Where, pray tell, did the time go and what the heck did I do with it?? Do girls still have hope chests? My, what fun that was!


Double bonus. This batch yielded lots of good organic matter for the composter.

I prefer to freeze fruit in single layers on cookie sheets before transferring it to freezer bags. That way, when I need 2 cups of peaches I can measure out exactly that, rather than getting a 'block' of peaches.

1 comment:

Rambling On said...

Yay! I made it back to your site. I'm on my laptop right now, but hopefully I can get back on the desktop too. That was really weird how accessing your site just kept locking up everything.

I see I've missed quite a bit of stuff going on. For starters, you're moving... or thinking about it. Wow! That's a big decision. I had to smile, reading about your "cast off" items. That is precisely what I call my little assortment of things. I wrote an editorial once about how simple things are the best. Many of my things are old, worn, used, rough, cast out by someone else, but I love things with a mysterious history. I'd say were kindred spirits. (Haven't said that before?) ;)

Galveston Island is one of our favorite places. It wasn't always so, but in the last four or five years we've sort of fallen in love with it. Such rich history there. The Railroad Museum is a great experience. I'm glad you were able to get away with your granddaughter and her friend. I'm sure they made some great memories.

Those peaches look yummy. We made our final trek to the produce farm today. They're closing up until spring.

Speaking of cobblers, I made a plum cobbler this evening, after Gayle ran by and brought some plums. I already had a jar that Mother had put up for me, so I stewed Gayle's batch, then added Mother's batch, and ended up with a giant cobbler on my hands. It was delicious, if I say so myself. So much for my Lean Cuisine diet today.

You asked about Lean Cuisine. I've had great success on it in years past. The food is very tasty to me, although it needs salt and pepper. I lost 15 pounds once, by just eating it as my main meal of the day. We'll see how it goes this time. I'm a bit older now. UGH! Harder to get those pounds off.

I'm sorry I've taken over your blog, but I didn't want to chance not being able to access the site again, so I said it all. HA!