Monday, August 11, 2008

Home Ain't What it Used to Be!

There is a magic in that little world, home; it is a mystic circle that surrounds comforts and virtues never known beyond its hallowed limits.

I think I'm about ready to sell the cottage. I think. Actually, it was never really a cottage but, rather, a spacious two story home with 4 bedrooms, 3 baths, a great room, formal living & dining rooms, a kitchen & breakfast area, mudroom, covered patio and 2 car garage, sitting right smack in the middle of 2 beautiful lots. But what I longed for was a cottage, and that's exactly what I have created. A spacious, yet cozy cottage with a wonderful clothesline made by my Dad, 4 raised bed vegetable and herb gardens, 4 fruit trees, bird baths, bird feeders, a wheel barrow spilling over with brightly colored flowers, and an American flag hanging near the front door. The inside---which is filled with warm colors and lots of natural light---is brimming with antique quilts made by my grandmother, vintage trunks, a beautiful collection of rugs, stained glass lamps, wonderfully scented candles and handmade soaps, fresh flowers, lots of pictures of family and friends, my own personal art, overstuffed pillows and French country antiques---many with quite a story, I'm sure. Much of what I treasure is cast offs which I salvaged, pampered, and fell in love with. Pictures will follow in coming days.

But with time comes swift transition, and the wonderful little patch of forrest that was once beyond my back fence has been destroyed, only to be replaced with a high dollar gated community, with property being peddled by a smooth talking investor who is offering lots of bells and whistles to the prospective proud mortgagees. I'm sure the homes will be almost stacked one on top of another and one will probably be hard pressed to find even one garden or clothesline among the masses. Sadly, there will be few trees.

I miss the forrest and absolutely hate what I now must see when I'm gardening or hanging out laundry. But rather than gripe about something I can't change, I think I shall simply move on. Oh, I'll miss this place, no doubt about it, but life has taught me that homes are not built but, rather, homes are created. Created with lots of love and joy and filled with treasures that bring back sweet memories and offer comfort. I'm up for the challenge, I just have to decide when to take the plunge.

All that remains of this once beautiful, majestic old oak is this toppled down tree top, tangled in the power lines.

A wounded branch, rests near my herb garden.

Andi's favorite spot to sniff the flowers!

My absolute favorite color crepe myrtle. Pure crimson.

Peek-A-Boo!


Rita-baby loves banana peppers straight from the garden.

A sweet, tropicana hibiscus.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

As they say, home is where the heart is. You'll make magic wherever you go.