Thursday, November 06, 2008



The masses have spoken and now we await the upcoming crowning of this country’s next king. And though I have never hidden my feelings about not wanting Barack Obama as this nation's next President, I know that I am called to honor and respect the office regardless of who dwells within. Like countless others, I'm having a difficult time forcing myself to follow through with that challenge right now.

How, I ask, are we to stand firm in our own convictions and not abandon everything we believe, yet still respect the views of Obama? This comes as a deep struggle for me, as it should for all who claim to be blood bought christians. Acclimating to Obama’s views would mean abandoning everything we stand for and every conviction God has placed within our hearts. How do we rectify this problem? With so many questions and so few answers, my head is spinning.

In Romans 13:1, Paul proclaims that "Everyone must submit himself to the governing authorities, for there is no authority except that which God has established. The authorities that exist have been established by God." (NIV). Armed with this knowledge, we know there is no option but to respect the office of the president-elect. Did God specifically place Barack Obama in this office? I don’t know. But I do know that He allowed it to happen. And I also know that the word tells us this: "And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to His purpose.” Romans 8:28 (NIV). This passage alone assures me that though every event which will occur and every decision which will be made on behalf of this nation may not be good, the end result is they will all blend together for a good outcome for God's people.

So, today I pray that God will use Obama for His glory and that He will guide his heart and actions. I pray that God will convict Obama on his stance regarding abortion and marriage. I pray that God will use His servants to uphold a high moral standard for our nation and that He will guide Obama’s heart in making critical decisions and choosing necessary actions.

I pray that God will build a wall of protection around Obama that cannot be torn down. I pray that some less than stable person, disillusioned by the election results, will not take matters in to his own hands. An assassination attempt is the last thing our country needs right now. We may not believe in his proposed change, but our soon to be president is someone’s father and someone’s husband and I care about his safety.

No, the man I wanted did not win. Am I mad? No. Am I sad? No doubt. But no matter what feelings may come and go, we will have a new President. And I will respect the office and position that he holds. I will pray for the office and speak life over the office. It is the system that God intended for our nation and I will pray over that system no differently than I would pray had McCain won, Palin won or Elmo won. The office is to be respected. Period.

The only thing that matters now are my prayers. And he most certainly has them. I am honored to give them. As good and lengthy as they are. And sometimes as short and shallow as they are. But what I have, give I thee. I can't say I'm going to hang Joe Biden's picture in my house or send a Christmas card to the White House, but I am going to obey God's word. My life is good and my future is bright. My home is cozy and warm and I have a few dear friends who love me unconditionally. I have precious neighbors who watch over me and my home as if it were their own. I am thankful for my life here. In this country. In this land. And I am thankful to God for it. May He find me faithful in it, as well.

So, today I have hope. And my hope is that through it all, Obama will be a positive change for our country. We need change, no doubt, I’m just not yet convinced that he is the change we need. But through God, all is possible, and one thing I am sure of is that He is still on the throne, and He is our source. Through Him, we will make it through the next 4 years.

No comments: