Sunday, June 15, 2008

From Pampers to Pegasus!

Granmommy (me!) & Savannah, February 1997
Savannah's 5th grade graduation, May 2008

Where, oh where does the time go, pray tell? While viewing the pictures from 5th grade graduation it really hit me that 'Granmommy's baby' just isn't a baby any more. How sad! I remember when our trips to the mall involved loading the stroller and diaper bag and shopping for big hair bows and Tele-Tubbies and videos such as Mulan and Aristocats. My, how that has changed! These days it's Books-A-Million and Bath and Body and Macy's and, for heavens sake, please don't dare mention a pretty ribbon or hair barrette unless you're prepared for the eye roll of the century! And if you really, really love an outfit, just act as though she's a little too young for such and, only then, will she surely love it too.

Life being what it is moves swiftly, and with that comes much transition. It seems almost surreal to realize I'm the granmommy of a little lady who will be a teenager in a mere 17 months. But what a proud granmommy I am! Did I mention that Savannah has been an honor student since kindergarten? She sure has! And did I remember to say that she is going into the 6th grade but, because she tested at a much higher level, she has been accepted at an academy and will be starting with 8th grade level work? Yep, Savannah will be in the Pegasus class! My, how I wish I could see what her future holds!

But the greatest joy this precious doll brings me comes from her pure and tender heart and the kindness and sensitivity she has toward others. She faithfully believes God for anything and everything, be it big or small, and she truly loves God and her church. As she enters the next phase of her life it is my prayer that she holds to God's unchanging hand and nevers loses sight of Calvary. I pray that she is always mindful of the fact that the achievements and recognition we gain while on this earth mean absolutely nothing if we lose out with God. She's been taught that since before she was old enough to understand it's meaning and I pray that it is firmly imprinted on the facets of her mind.

Train a child in the way he should go, and when he is old he will not turn from it. Proverbs 22:6

2 comments:

Rambling On said...

Children grow up so fast. May the next era in Savannah's life bring you as much joy as this one has. She's blessed to have you in her life.

Anonymous said...

Sounds like Savannah would make any "granmommy" proud. :-) Kids do grow up in a flash.

Proverbs 22:6 is on my refrigerator, and I'm holding on in faith.