Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Earth Box Gardening

In my book, nothing beats 'Earth Box' gardening. Nothing. Zero-zip-nada. Because I was going to marvelous Montana around planting time I decided to put my spring/summer garden on hold until I returned. In this area, the summer gardens are usually harvested in mid-June so I could only cross my fingers and hope for the best when I planted in mid-May. I plant my 'Earth Boxes' annually, but this year I opted to use them exclusively rather than plant directly into the soil in my raised beds. Why? Well, take a look at the results! None of these plants were more than 3" tall when planted and now, just 1 month later, they are loaded with blooms and continue to grow by leaps and bounds. Last year I harvested 120 cucumbers off just one plant growing in this wonderful system and, best of all, no hoeing or weeding or prepping the ground is required. From start to finish, these 5 boxes were planted, fertilized and watered in less than thirty minutes. The boxes have an internal watering system and, the best feature of all is they are totally weed free!


Sweet Basil

Burpless Cucumbers
Beefsteak Tomatoes

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow! That's the kind of gardening I need to do. Never heard of it, but I'm a real novice when it comes to growing things. I love the rocking chair pic. Wish I were sitting in one.

Gregory Anderson said...

Great idea!

Rambling On said...

Do post details about this method of gardening.... or email me details to dayle@dayleshockley.com.