Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Life at the Cottage....


Rita-baby


Romeo

Sometimes, when I'm really tired or downhearted, I feel overwhelmed by my duties and it seems they outnumber the hours of the day. So, a few days ago I began to think about what I could do to decrease my responsibilities and increase my leisure time. While working on this grandiose plan the thought occured to me that perhaps I could sell my 2 African Grey parrots. Romeo, the 12 year old, was given to me about 5 years ago-- a rather nice gift from quite a nice gentleman. I became attached to 'Rome' and a few years later I thought he deserved a pal--thus enters Rita-baby.

Rita-baby arrived days before Hurricane Rita slammed my city, hence her namesake. She's faired well as I struggled to maintain life for 3 weeks without such luxuries as electricity and well stocked grocery stores. She proved to be quite the survivor.

These two are quite a pair. They're rather picky eaters, but they love to eat organically---Granny Smith apples, granola, cheese, peanuts in the shell and salad. No bagged food for these two. They'll toss it out the bars piece by piece. They love to chew up their toys and they've mastered the art of escaping the cage---though they're not brave enough to go any farther than a stroll up the sides and across the top.Honestly, these little feathered guys don't take up a huge amount of time but, they do take a little time---especially if you want them to be articulate. And articulate they are. In the quiet hours of this predawn morning I opened the back door to be greeted by non-stop chatter. Simple bird talk. "Good morning Andi." "Watcha doin girl?" "Praise the Lord!" "Hey Uncle Jarad!" "Hush Andi!" "Let me see!" "Where's Savannah?" Each comment accented with relentless giggling bird and renditions of a ringing phone.

They make me smile in spite of any confusion and despair that's going through my mind right now. How could I let these little guys go? Would they wonder where they are and why I'm not around? Would they still be fed the things they love? Would they cease to speak? These creatures really are little miracles. And they're a nice part of the family unit of this cozy cottage. And they never fail to make me laugh. Somethimes they whistle as though they're calling a dog and Andi, who hasn't figured it out yet, goes jetting to the cage to be greeted by hysterical laughter. She looks puzzled and walks away, only to be tricked again within mere seconds. Ahh, for lifes simple pleasures.

Maybe, just maybe I'll re-think that plan and try to cut a corner or two in another area.

No comments: