Sunday, June 25, 2006

Ishmael


Ishmael is a wonderful Jewish craftsman whom I had the pleasure of meeting when I was in Israel this past March. For 60+ years he has toiled daily, handcrafting shoes, in a tiny shop in 'the Old City'-- a huge marketplace in the heart of Jerusalem. From early morning until sunset he cuts , sews, measures and tacks, creating one of a kind shoes, one at a time. After we had visited for a while I asked for permission to photograph him and within a few minutes, I knew had made a new friend. We visited a while longer then, as I was telling him goodbye, he motioned for me to come closer as he reached into the back of a drawer, retrieving a ragged little drawstring pouch full of old coins. He handed me a coin, a 'widows mite,' then, with a twinkle in his eye, he began to tell me the story of the widow in the Bible who gave all she had, one mite, as a temple offering. Though she had nothing of monetary value, she had hope, faith, charity and such a spirit of selflessness she was willing to give her all. He went on to tell me that the coin in my hand was about 2,000 years old and when it was in circulation the population of Jerusalem was so sparse that chances are great that it was handled by one of the apostles or, maybe even Jesus Himself. My, what a wonderful gift. And what an honor to be blessed with something that may have once been in the hand of Jesus. I kept the coin for a few months, then I gave it to a wonderful friend whom, I believe, God specifically ordered our paths to cross in this journey of life. I hope he feels as honored as I was to receive this treasure.

(43) Verily I say unto you, That this poor widow hath cast more in , than all they which have cast into the treasury: (44) For all they did cast in of their abundance; but she of her want did cast in all that she had, even all her living. St. Mark 12:43-44

No comments: