Sunday, October 19, 2008

Sunday Morning Walk Thoughts...


Fredericksburg, Texas

As I took a pre-dawn walk through the neighborhood this morning, basking in the wonderous feel, sound and smell of glorious autumn, my mind was quickened to the thought that I am truly on a journey. A journey of continually searching for God and what that means in my daily life. I'm a 'God Chaser' as my my old friend from the teenage years, Tommy Tenney, would say. And through this journey I've come to realize it's not about rules or constraints, nor is it about unreasonable limitations but, rather, it's about freedom. It's about seeing my 'wants' become reality. It's about coming to realize that when the writer said 'I shall not want,' not only was he was speaking prophetic words, but he was speaking about me. Daily, God is supplying not only my needs, but my wants, also. I want to love with abandon. I want intense passion. I want to know that in all my relationships something exists beyond the visible. God knows my wants even better than I do and, in His perfect timing, they will be granted.
I love pondering the possibilities before my life, what could or will be, and what the necessary steps are before I see things begin to happen. I love the simple pleasures He has placed as mile markers on my journey. Pleasures such as long and straight-from-the-heart talks with my good friend Elizabeth, evening prayer walks in the summer, gathering the harvest from my awesome little garden, Saturday morning bike rides to Carlito's for a Mexican breakfast, the joy of finding the perfect gift for someone I love, spending hours in the bookstore (the new and improved libraries!), cool mornings and crunchy leaves in the fall, learning about love and life from those who seem to have found their way, the awe I feel when viewing His magnificent mountains, long aromatic & candlelit baths, being home alone with no tv or phone, just good music or a good book, and connecting with another heart. I am learning how to love, how to live, when to speak and when not to, when it's time to gather the stones, when it's time to let go. I'm learning surrender, forgiveness, discipline and, greatest of all, patience. I'm neither brilliant nor eloquent, but God has been exceedingly gracious in allowing me to cross paths with a few wise people along the way and I try to draw magnificence from all I've learned from them. And for that, I am grateful.

1 comment:

amy phillips said...

i love the deer. Where I live, deer run every where. you do have to be carefull driving right now, it's not their favorite season :-\