Wednesday, October 15, 2008

A Simple Woman's Day Book


For Wednesday, October 14, 2008

Outside my window...
It's a little overcast, yet, pleasant and crisp. Two cardinals are feasting on sunflower seeds from my feeder...when the blue jay doesn't shoo them away. We're awaiting a cool front which is expected to come through later today. I can't wait!

I am thinking...
I'm thinking of how nice it is to be off work for the next 9 days! I'm thankful to work a very flexible schedule which generally allows me to have long stretches of off days.

I am thankful for...
Grace. Mercy. My family. My job. My home. My garden. My pets. Life is good.

From the kitchen... No big culinary plans for the day. Maybe some potato soup from a new and simple recipe I found which creates this wonderful standby from a box of augratin potatoes. Maybe some cornbread from, what else but...'scratch.'

I am wearing...
One of my favorite 'outfits'...flannel drawstring p.j. bottoms from Victoria's Secret, an oversized UT tee shirt and socks.

I am creating...
Today I will be creating a fresh, fall look on my front porch and flower beds by adding mums, fresh bark and, you guessed it, pumpkins!

I am going...
Gonna go to Home Depot. They have a great garden department!

I am reading...
The Shack by William Young. A fictional book where God invites Mack, the main character, for a weekend with Him at the 'shack', where previously a very bad thing happened to one of his children. I haven't gotten far in the book, but I understand it's quite a good one. I think I'll go to Barnes and Noble this afternoon and see what else grabs me, maybe I won't get too comfy in one of their big, overstuffed chairs and spend the afternoon perusing magazines!

I am hoping...
Short terms thoughts are that God will smile down upon us and deliver us from the potential horror of Barack Obama leading our wonderful nation. On a more pleasant note, I'm hoping that we have a real winter this year, rather than a 'Texas style winter.' I want to have a nice, cozy fire every night and a flurry or two would be especially nice, considering we only see that every 5-6 years!

I am hearing...
The background music from my blog page...Natalie Cole singing Everlasting Love.

Around the house...
Things look mighty cozy. There's a selection of nice magazines on my old postal service shipping trunk which serves as a sofa table and the pillows and throw on the sofa certainly look inviting. I need to stay focused rather than giving in to too much chillin' today!

One of my favorite things...
There are too many to count! Weekends with Savannah come to mind first. 'Just because' phone calls from my boys. Good gospel music. Laid back road trips.

A few plans for the rest of the week...
Much of the week will be spent feathering the next. Cleaning, creating, cooking and rearranging, to name a few of the planned events!

Thought for the morning
I am still confident of this: I will see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living. Wait for the Lord; be strong and take heart and wait for the Lord. Psalm 27: 13-14 "...and Lord in the midst of this election, we wait for You. We rely on our source: You, only You. Amen"

Here is a picture I thought I would share. This is my bestest buddy, Elizabeth, as created by our awesome and phenomenal art instructor, Gary Hernandez.


And a fun fall recipe...



Frito Pie...not the ball park variety...

3 tablespoons yellow cornmeal
3 tablespoons chili powder
2 teaspoons black pepper
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon oregano (fresh)
1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1 pound lean ground beef
1 1/2 pounds beef brisket, cubed
3 cups onion, diced
3 cloves garlic
2 tablespoons oil
1 28-ounce can chopped tomatoes
1 10.75-ounce can tomato purée
12 oz. beer - Mexican or Texas lager if you can
1 cup water
1 15-ounce can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
Fritos
6 oz. Velveeta (diced)
green onions (for garnish)
Place a skillet over medium heat and add yellow cornmeal, chili powder, black pepper, salt, cumin, oregano leaf, and red pepper flakes. Toast for seven minutes. Remove from heat and set aside.

In separate skillet, brown lean ground beef. Drain and set aside.

In large Dutch Oven or Stock put (around 6 qt in size), sauté chopped onion in 2 tablespoons of oil until pieces start to turn transparent. Add chopped garlic, ground beef and beef cubes. Add toasted spices and canned chopped tomatoes, tomato purée, the beer and the water. Simmer over low heat for at least 1 hour, stirring frequently.

Serve chili over Fritos corn chips. Top each serving with 1 oz. of Velveeta and green onions

Serves 6 to 8

No comments: