Sunday, October 05, 2008

About Ike

He came in like a lion and went out like, well, a smaller lion, I guess, but thank God, Ike has come and gone and all is well. I feel as though I'm learning to blog all over again since I was without power for 2 weeks and without cable and internet until 3 days ago. I've spent a lot of time over the last couple of days reading and catching up on all my regulars, so anxious to move on and read more that I haven't stopped long enough to comment! It's true, you don't really, really miss it until it's gone. A few pictures from Ike's short visit:

...one of the medical transport planes which transferred the patients out of the area. It took lots of medical staff and lots of time to perform this huge task smoothly. .
Much of the Texas coast is now destroyed. My brother's primary residence (built in 2005) was on Crystal Beach and, unless you know a specific landmark, you can hardly find his neighborhood amongst the rubble. It may be many months before there is power, phone service, potable water or gasoline available in the beach area. The roads are washed out and most of the homes are merely 'heaps' in the sand. This pictures was taken about 18 hours before the storm made landfall in Texas. The water was already ferocious.
Scene from Bridge City, Texas, home of my late grandmother...
...then the caravans rolled in, 14,000 electricians from every state you can think of. What a welcoming sight it was!
A huge 'THANK YOU' to this crew from Pennsylvania Cable!
It was a huge effort, performed by thousands who arrived from near and far, but on this beautiful Sunday morning one would be find it difficult to believe what this area looked like 3 short weeks ago.

The scripture that gave me strength in the midst of this raging storm: 'For surely there is an end; and thine expectation shall not be cut off.' Proverbs 23:18

No comments: