Friday, July 13, 2007

T.G.I.F.


After being a day shift nurse for 23 years I decided to take the plunge and transfer to the night shift. I'm a labor and delivery nurse and when I was offered a lucrative shift differential to work from 7 pm to 7 am three nights per week I accepted. I found the pace of nights to be much more subdued than that of the day shift...most of the time. Overall it's been a great trade off---a whole lot more money for a whole lot less stress--- but the really enticing factor was the idea of having more daytime hours at home. I'm a genuine nester at heart (see my Nester post from Sept. 2006) and nothing makes me happier than having lots and lots of time to feather and 're-feather' the nest. I have a nice little stretch of off days :) so from 7 am Friday until 7 pm Tuesday THAT-- nesting!--is exactly what I plan to do. I can hardly wait to begin....I'll take a nice, long aromatic bath, then jump into my favorite Victoria's Secret pajama bottoms with my UT tee-shirt and Croc's. I'll put on some nice, smooth jazz and light my favorite candles before going through each room of my little cottage, fluffing this and rearranging that, until I am perfectly satisfied that my abode feels like a welcome haven of peace and rest. I'll be sure, of course, that there's a lot of love scattered about and that I've strategically sprinkled a wonderful little trail of 'niceties' along the way to pamper and please all who enter the door. In my sweet little cozy kitchen I'll concoct a delectable, homemade organic pizza with fresh basil and tomatoes from my garden.Or maybe some wonderful tacos from the fresh mahi mahi my son caught. I'll check the classifieds for a 'can't miss this one' estate sale going on. Maybe I'll get lucky and find another old treasure like this: I'll scrub and perfume Andi and recruit a little help to move the big pots containing my citrus trees. I'll make a few plans for my soon coming cruise :) and I'll lie on the sofa with my favorite comfy quilt and read a good book or watch a movie. I may even squeeze in time for my coveted monthly foot massage and pedicure, then go for a leisurely stroll through the arboretum..falling love with every flower I meet.
On Sunday I'll go spend some time with God in His house and then have a nice little lunch with a few of the ones I love most of all. I'll drift off Sunday night feeling safe and secure and happy and fulfilled in this life with which I've been blessed. THIS is what I call a wonderful weekend and I can hardly wait for it to begin.

No comments: