Friday, July 20, 2007

A Delightful Summer Salad....

Besides working a lot of hours these days, I've spent lots of time lately spiffing up my gardens and doing countless other little projects to enhance the cozy and delightful feeling of my little cottage. Aside from the fact that I get so busy with my projects that I don't want to stop, it's just been too darn hot to do very much cooking. Actually, there's been a few days when a cherry popsicle or an icy Dr. Pepper sounded more wonderful than anything else I could possibly imagine. Knowing I can't survive on such from day to day, I sought a simple and light recipe that would be quick and not too high cal or high carb. I found just that in this great little summer salad....



Asian Chicken Salad

1 head green cabbage (sliced thinly/shredded)
3 green onions, chopped
1 can mandarin oranges (you can use a small or large can, depending on how much you want)
1/2 bunch cilantro, finely chopped
4 cooked chicken breasts, chopped
1 pkg Oriental Ramen Soup
1 pkg frozen peas, thawed
1/2 C slivered almonds (optional)

Dressing (add just before serving)
1/2 C Sugar
2/3 C Oil
6 Tbsp Rice Vinegar
1 packet Oriental Soup Seasoning

Directions:
Combine all items for salad & toss. Just before serving, wisk together ingredients for dressing. Toss together & serve.

If you want to save some of the salad for another day, don't add all the dressing as the salad will get soggy. If you want to add some crunch to the salad, top with some of the ramen noodles.

No comments: