Sunday, December 21, 2008


Outside My Window...
It's cloudy and gray, very windy, and there's quite a chill in the air. It's a great change from the mid 70's of yesterday which required the a/c to be on much of the day.

I Am Thinking...
About what I should wear for a special up-coming event ;-)

I Am Thankful For...
the wonderous soul cleansing, body and spirit healing, powerful blood of Jesus.

From The Kitchen...
It was 'semi-home made' around here today. Grilled boudain, baked sweet potatoes, field peas, cornbread and iced tea. Good old country comfort food.

I Am Wearing...
A gray sweatshirt with navy pants and my gray and red New Balance runners.

I Am Creating...
a more organized system for filing what seems like thousands of recipes! Part of the organization includes getting rid of all the ones I've hung on to for years but have never yet tried.

I Am Going...

to Macy's later on tonight! I think they are open until midnight and I don't expect the crowd to be too terribly bad. Maybe. This will be my absolute last retail experience until after Christmas!

I Am Reading...
How To Achieve Total Prosperity, a book given to me by the author, Mark Victor Hanson, when he and his wife, Patty, stayed in the condo next door to ours at the Silverado Country Club in Napa Valley, California. That was many moons and many memories ago!

I Am Hoping...
with the help of God, the dream deferred will be made manifest.

I Am Hearing...
A Hallmark Christmas movie is playing in the background. Don't have a clue what this one is, but I usually really enjoy these.

Around The House...
It's warm and cozy and 'Christmassy' around here! The fireplace is burning, candles are glowing and permeating the air with lucious fragrance, and I'm about to get busy in the kitchn making some fudge for my across the street neighbors. Too bad Mr. Wonderful isn't here...

One of My Favorite Things...
is having a few friends over for dinner. I love preparing a special menu and getting my home all spiffed up for my guests. The lights are dimmed and each room is filled with cozy throws, piles of fluffy pillows and wonderful triple scented candles. Lavender soap is at all the sinks and great music plays softly in the background. We have such a great time and get so comfortable that before we know it, hours and hours have passed by!

A Few Plans For The Rest Of The Week...
I'm off work most of the week so winding up holiday preparations shouldn't be stressful at all. I'll be spending most of the day at my Dads house on Christmas Day and I'm still undecided about what I should take. I'll be preparing a side dish and a dessert, so hopefully I can come up with something pretty special that isn't too labor intense!

A Good Holiday Recipe...




Pumpkin Roll

INGREDIENTS:
1/4 cup powdered sugar (to sprinkle on towel)
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
1/4 teaspoon salt
3 large eggs
1 cup granulated sugar
2/3 cup LIBBY'S® 100% Pure Pumpkin
1 cup walnuts, chopped (optional)
1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
1 cup powdered sugar, sifted
6 tablespoons butter or margarine, softened
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 cup powdered sugar (optional)


DIRECTIONS:
1. PREHEAT oven to 375 degrees F. Grease 15 x 10-inch jelly-roll pan; line with wax paper. Grease and flour paper. Sprinkle towel with powdered sugar.

2. COMBINE flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, cloves and slat in small bowl. Beat eggs and sugar in large mixer bowl until thick. Beat in pumpkin. Stir in flour mixture. Spread evenly into prepared pan. Sprinkle with nuts.

3. BAKE for 13 to 15 minutes or until top of cake springs back when touched. Immediately loosen and turn cake onto prepared towel. Carefully peel off paper. Roll up cake and towel together, starting with narrow end. Cool on wire rack.

4. BEAT cream cheese, powdered sugar, butter and vanilla extract in small mixer bowl until smooth. Carefully unroll cake; remove towel. Spread cream cheese mixture over cake. Reroll cake. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate at least one hour. Sprinkle with powdered sugar before serving, if desired

No comments: