Saturday, September 06, 2008

The McDonalds Diet and Taco Trucks



Although I've never been a fan of the golden arches, when I first heard about the man who lost 80 pounds on the 'McDonald's diet' I thought, "Gee, I think I could tolerate McD for that!" Now I certainly don't need to lose 80 pounds, but I would be absolutely delighted and jumping for joy if I lost 15, so I decided to check this dude out! As I began to read, I quickly discovered that it wasn't the real McDonald's fare that he lost the weight with but, rather, salads and apples from Micky D's along with an occasional wrap from the menu. No Big Mac's, no Quarter Pounder's with cheese, no Filet of Fish and no hot apple pies. Not even a rare Happy Meal was mentioned. Well, duh, who wouldn't lose on that diet? Only a rabbit, I suppose. Here's the story:

AP) A Virginia man lost about 80 pounds in six months by eating nearly every meal at McDonald's. Not Big Macs, french fries and chocolate shakes. Mostly salads, wraps and apple dippers without the caramel sauce. Chris Coleson tipped the scales at 278 pounds in December. The 5-foot-8 Coleson now weighs 199 pounds and his waist size has dropped from 50 to 36. The 42-year-old businessman from Quinton says he chose McDonald's because it's convenient. His inspiration came from his two children and from the story of a blind war veteran who rode a tandem bicycle cross-country. Coleson says his goal is to get back to the 185 pounds he weighed when he married Tricia Summer. Their 10th anniversary is Saturday.


His success set the wheels in motion in my excessively creative mind, and I began to wonder, just how much weight I could lose if all my meals came off the taco truck?



Now, I seriously love me some taco truck fare and, to me, the best part of going to Hobby Airport (Houston) is choosing which of the countless taco trucks will get my peso's. The food is truly second to none, not the county fair quality one would expect for dinner coming from a kitchen on wheels. The menu, spanish words which don't mean a flippin' thing to me, usually scrawled in magic marker in uphill fashion on a poster board, leaves me clueless. I simply don't know the lingo. But the aroma of onions and peppers on the griddle, fresh homemade flour tortilla's, chicken and steak grilling on an open pit outside the back door, well, it gets my attention everytime. And I've had some pretty exquisite, delectable meals in my day, many from '5 star's' such as the Ritz Carlton Resort and the Silverado Country Club in Napa Valley to name a couple. But looking back, I can truly say they didn't beat the taco truck, where neither a wine list is available nor attire is suggested.


Fresh from the truck! No, the brewsky is not mine, I'm a Dr. Pepper girl! Jarad usually orders a beer and $10.00 worth of 'whatever's cooking.' He's never been disapppointed with his luck of the draw.

As far as the taco truck diet goes, I guess they would have to remove everything from the plate but the onions and radishes for me to lose any weight, and, I guess maybe a little cilantro on the side would be okay too...

No comments: