Friday, September 12, 2008

'Hunkering Down'

I mopped and dusted and scrubbed the bathrooms (and Andi) and changed the bedding. I double checked that all the dishes, as well as the laundry, are clean and put away. The plants are all moved in to assure that the pots will not fly through the wind like torpedo's and cause damage to persons or property. The generator is charged and there are 20 gallons of gas nearby which, hopefully, I will not need. I've got 5 bags of ice in the garage freezer and I grilled some shrimp, chicken and boudain to have on hand for upcoming days. The sun is not out today and there is a perpetual cool and, strangely enough, very pleasant breeze which serves to remind me of who's traveling this way. Ike. I'm all stocked up and ready for the visitor.

Oddly, these unwelcome visits always seem to come in the night, much like a thief, robbing you of not only your personal possessions, but also robbing you of your security and peace of mind. But I'm ready. Ready and waiting. Waiting and trusting and believing and thanking God that I know a name that is much, much bigger than this massive monster, the size of Texas, which is expected to make landfall about 80 miles away. Unless He speaks "peace" to the water, we're certain to be affected. Again, I'm glad to know THAT name. Jesus...Jesus...Jesus. Bigger than Ike, bigger than anybody, bigger than anything. I'm blessed to know all I have to do is whisper that marvelous name and He will be quick to protect me and supply my needs...no matter what the weather channel says.

The cell phone towers were never impaired during Hurricane Rita and I'm hoping they will withstand Ike also. If and when the power fails, I will at that time lose my computer service as well as my land line, as it is part of the package through Time Warner Cable. So there is a chance that I will---to a degree---be cut off from most of the world for a little while. The last hurricane left me with no utilities for 12 days then came back on October 5th, my 50th birthday. What a wonderful gift that was! I do still have an unused land line oulet downstairs and hopefully that will remain intact. I hope. Going through this again in just three short years has given me much to think about and I feel sure that I will soon make a big decision regarding where I want to live. And it won't be Texas. That's a guarantee.

The Word says there is strength in agreement when calling upon the name of the Lord and I really need all the unity I can scrape up right now. Until we talk again, hopefully soon ;) have a blessed weekend.

No comments: