Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Planting, Planning and R & R




The early summer garden has been nothing less than phenomenal, but, like most good things, it will come to an end. The freezer is full of beans and squash and the pantry is loaded with homemade tomato sauce, salsa, pickled peppers and pesto. I've picked the last of the tomatoes and tomorrow I will pull up the bean vines. All that's left in the garden is cantaloupe, eggplant and peppers. We usually plant in March around here, and by mid June---when temps are in the 90's---the heat is just too taxing on the plants and vegetation. The herbs are continuing to do well and I will soon begin preparing the beds for fall planting. So, for the remainder of the summer, I will focus on the flower beds and see about adding another birdbath and a few more boulders to the landscape. If I'm lucky, maybe I can have a small greenhouse built by fall or winter. Until then, I think I'll focus on packing a bag in anticipation of a little R & R, via a wonderful, fun-filled cruise.

No comments: