Monday, March 12, 2007

Memory Monday


When I awakened this morning I realized that exactly one year ago today I was touring the Holy Land with a group of the most wonderful friends one could ask for. The trip was without doubt one of the greatest events I've experienced in life and I would absolutely love to go there again some day. The picture I've posted is of a cemetary on the Mt. of Olives, which is directly across from the Eastern Gate. According to the Bible, this is the site where the Lord will set foot when He returns to earth and because of this, the gravesites there are highly coveted and cost as much as $250,000.00 each. The graves are extremely close together and cover the hillside for as far as the eye can see. You will notice that there are no flowers on the graves and that many of the graves have stones placed upon them. We were told that flowers represent celebration and joyous events, therefore, they have no place in the graveyard. The stones are symbolic of heaviness, therefore, they adorn the graves as a symbol of the heavy heart the surviving loved ones have. This tid-bit is just one of the dozens of interesting facts I learned in that glorious ten days.

No comments: