Friday, April 24, 2009

My Six Word Life Story



"For sale. Baby Shoes. Never worn.”

Back in the 1920’s, the great writer, Ernest Hemingway made a $10.00 bet with someone that he could write a complete story in six words. He won the bet with the above words. Never have six words been more thought provoking, or conveyed such strength of meaning.

The online magazine, Smith, has used the Hemingway anecdote to inspire its readers to write their own life stories in just six words. This effort has resulted in a book of the best contributions, entitled "Not Quite What I Was Planning".

I began to think about how could I sum up my own life in six words. What is my six word life story? I’ve been many places and have had many wonderful experiences . . . some good, some bad, other’s boring and many were quite sad. A handful were heartwarming and exciting...well, at least they were to me.

Here are some of the wonderful examples of six word life stories that people submitted. I find them quite fascinating.

Even the stars look lonesome tonight.

Some days are better than others.

Life: Why do I even bother?

Conceived, implored, employed, adored, retired, ignored.

Still waiting for it to begin.

Stars shine brightest in dark skies.

If only I had turned left.


She loved. He didn't. How typical.

Waited. Met. Connected. Lived. Happily. Everafter.

Seventh Day, God rested, Satan didn't.

Strife? Regardless, we remain a team.

Dandelion never saw the weedwacker coming.

I lost everything. CEO got bonus.

And so this evenning I began to ponder what my six line life story would be. It’s a lot to take in. And though that sentence is just six words, that's not my story. And then it came to me . . . joy is coming in the morning.

That is my six word life story....

3 comments:

Dayle ~ A Collection of Days said...

It's so good to see you back blogging again. I hope things are well with you and those you care about. I enjoyed the post about your mom. Very touching and so true.

FYI.... My personal blog is still on Xanga (www.xanga.com/mswrite2), but I've created a little blog of sorts in the "blogspot" realm. I only post to it occasionally, and it hasn't turned out to be exactly what I hoped for either (HA!) but I've found some really talented, creative people out there.

Sorry for rambling... so good to have you back.

P.S. I love your new profile picture. Beautiful.

Gayle said...

Hey, Rhonda. Glad you're back to blogging. Enjoy your posts.

Pastorseajay said...

Thanks for the insight and humor. I really enjoyed the six word challenge. Hmmm - Honey, what is for dinner tonight?