Thursday, February 05, 2009

A Baby is a Baby...



A great story...from a great friend who happens to be an Ob-gyn.

A worried woman went to the OB and said: "Doctor, I have a serious problem and desperately need your Help. My baby is not even 1 yr old and I am pregnant again. I don't want kids so close together.

So, the doctor said, "what do you want from me?" She said, "I want to end my pregnancy, and I am counting on your help with this." The doctor thought for a minute and after some silence said to the lady. "I think I have a better solution to your problem and it's less dangerous for you, too." She smiled, thinking that the doctor was going to accept her request.

He continued, "You see, in order for you not to have 2 babies to take care of at the same time, let's kill the one in your arms. This way, you could rest some before the other one is born. If we're going to kill one of them, it doesn't matter which one it is amd there would be no risk for your body if you chose the one in your arms."

The lady was horrified and shouted, "How terrible! It's a crime to kill a child!"
"I agree," said the doctor, "but you seemed to be ok with it so I thought maybe that was the best solution."

The doctor smiled, realizing that he had made his point. He convinced the mom that there is no difference in killing a child that's already been born and one that is still in the womb.

The crime is the same.

Just 18 days after conception the heart begins to beat at 6 weeks, brain waves can be measured, at 8 weeks the vital organs are functioning and fingerprints have formed. Before 9 weeks the unborn child is able to feel pain.

2 comments:

Rambling On said...

When I volunteered at a pregnancy crisis center some years ago, I was always moved when I looked at the 12-week gestation display... all those marvelous 10 fingers and toes, so perfectly formed.

Rambling On said...

Missing your posts. Hope all is well.