Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Cookies, Cookies And Yes, More Cookies


Pounds of butter--nothing but the REAL stuff, mountains of sugar, dozens of eggs, chocolate--lots and lots of chocolate--pecans, walnuts, cherries, sprinkles, vanilla--real pure vanilla and, for good measure, a little flour to hold it all together. Gee, I don't know what I would do without my wonderful fire engine red Kitchen Artisan Mixer these days! But everyone loves wonderful, homemade Christmas cookies. I live in an old neighborhood which has a history that runs pretty deep in this city and most of my neighbors are elderly. But my, what a wealth of knowledge they are. Most of the ladies are retired educators and many of the men are retired school principals. Sprinkled among the group are a few doctors from the era when medical offices were in houses right smack in the middle of a residential area. Back in the day when it didn't matter if you had no insurance or if funds were low. They treated you anyway and trusted God to provide when money ran short. Most of them are in or near their 80's now and they're mighty wonderful folk, all of them. And I just can't help but laugh when they call or come by to check on me when the weather is bad or something unusual is on the horizon. So at Christmas I honor them with a little token of something special from my kitchen and, after hours and hours of measuring, baking and festive wrapping, it's time to deliver. This years selection includes:

Peanut Butter Chocolate Stars
Pistachio Mexican Wedding Cookies New Orleans Praline Treats
Old Fashioned Sugar Cookies

No comments: